“Consumers are widening their search radius” — Alex Vetter
- But to hear him talk about the industry, you wouldn’t know it. “I’m more focused on technology and business model evolution, and I leave the curation of the cars to the pros.”
- With nearly 25 years at the head of Cars.com, Vetter is plugged into the automotive industry on both the manufacturing side and dealership side. On this episode, Derek D and Alex Vetter explore the insights that Cars.com generates as a “pretail” platform — where consumers go in the early research stage of the buying process — and much more.
- Vetter’s story of buying the Cars.com domain name in 1997 for $70k (and the mural in the company’s lobby that’s a reminder of that moment)
- How data from Cars.com shows consumer interest by geography, at a granular level — including make, model, and even colors that people are searching for
- The ways in which the auto industry has led communities through the pandemic
…and much more.
Derek D is an actor, comedian, and host with 15 years of experience in the entertainment industry. Before becoming a host on the DNT podcast, Derek was well known in the automotive industry for hosting the award-winning car news show Fast Lane Daily.
| Dealer News Today is a DCG Media Production