SEASON 4 | EPISODE 9
Born and raised in Hawthorne, NJ, Steve Barna also owns Hawthorne Chevrolet, which has been a family-owned and operated dealership for over 90 years. Steve got his start in automotive sales when his stepfather asked him to fill in for sales staff who were unable to make it – the rest is history.
“Personnel is the number one challenge”
– Steve Barna, Owner, Hawthorne Chevrolet
In this episode, Steve Barna sits with Derek D to talk about the pitfalls and advantages of a family business, his uncertainty in the last five years of the automotive industry and how he’s managed it and found avenues to succeed, and what the two most major immediate issues facing all dealerships are. He also weighs in on why it’s been especially difficult to sell commercial trucks since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, what has always annoyed his mom when it comes to Thanksgiving with a family of car dealers, and more.
- The benefits of consolidation and shifting location focus in a world still dealing with a pandemic
- How rail transportation of cars from the manufacturer to dealers poses a logistical concern
- The new system being used as a stopgap when premium options are unavailable due to the microchip shortage, and Steve’s concerns with this approach
- How the Northeast’s strong lease market makes it especially vulnerable to supply chain problems
| Dealer News Today is a Dave Cantin Group production
Dealer News Today Podcasts
The Dealer News Today Podcasts are a collaboration and partnership of leading automotive organizations and professionals joining together to create a news outlet in the automotive space. Our focus is on providing content on the cutting edge of the automotive industry, automotive marketing, and automotive dealership news that dealers need to hear today and the insights required to be prepared for tomorrow.
Have something to add? Dealer News Today actively seeks thought leadership content that contributes to our goal of creating insights for the future of the automotive industry. Read our requirements for joining our team, or contact a member of our editorial staff today to learn more!